Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Shop Opening Break - go see a movie about type

Just a quick post to remind design-minded folks that the Helvetica movie is playing at the Gene Siskel Film Center in the Loop only until tomorrow/Thursday.



I admit it... I'm selfish, didn't mention it until we already had our tickets in hand! (I heard it sold out on Friday.) I've been waiting for it. We're going tonight.

I don't know exactly what the movie is going to focus on, but it's a good reminder that everything you see (or touch, or use...) has been designed by someone. It may have been designed lovingly, or carelessly, but outside of nature, things don't just create themselves. Look around. Look at your chair, home, toothbrush, milkjug, coffeeshop, whatever... even the little letters on your screen. Someone had some intention and did something about it. Design is like the Matrix. Once you see it, you can't go back.

[Picture above of the Gene Siskel Film Center digs and cafe -from their website. It's an awesome theater and urban resource, but I'll pretend I don't see a spoon being used in the construction of those "cappuccinos".]

3 comments:

jay said...

so how was it?

Leah said...

I loved Helvetica and I'm not a designer... I guess I'm a philodesignista.

It was a great look at the history of one typeface. I really enjoyed it.

(P.S. Found your blog through Gapersblock and am looking forward to exploring more and coming in for a latte.)

lee said...

I really liked it, too. Massimo Vignelli and Michael Bierut were pretty hilarious. Yeah, I thought it was really good. I read some review that lamented some missing discussion areas, and I think I might agree, but overall I think they did a good job.

I did particularly like the presentation of the timeline aspect, as they presented the pendulum swing of graphic design momentum between the more structured and more "expressive" styles. Pretty interesting.

Anyone else see it? What did you think?