Tuesday, January 02, 2007

A happiest of new years to you all!

Well, 2007 has sneakily arrived.

We passed the highly emphasized tick-tock moment curled up on the couch, being aware and thankful for what we have. I hope this new year will find you all well, safe and secure, and laughing often.

This next year promises to be an exciting one for us with the opening of the coffee bar. We're embarking into what is for us uncharted waters with the hope that we have prepared well enough to handle the waves as they come.

I was just saying to Miguel yesterday that this venture seems to require more faith in the unknown than what I'm used to. Reason, logic and calculations only get us so far, in the end it seems we have to trust that 'if we build it...", they'll come. We are definitely putting our heart (not to mention our savings) into it. The result though is that every decision feels critical... that it's the end of the world. I suppose if there's anything that I might resolve to work on (for the new year, of course), it's keeping perspective and a good sense of balance. I know The Coffee Studio will not be perfect, just as individually, none of us will ever be "perfect". Yet I suppose we all still manage to get along pretty well anyhow.

And so with a new eye on the new calendar, it's time to figure out when we'll be open. As a superstitious soul, I'm always terrified of jinxing myself, so for now, let me just say that we'll be open this Spring. Since it's almost time to be counting in weeks... I will say that ten weeks would be miraculous, fourteen very good, sixteen a bit depressing, and more than that, well, I don't want to talk about it. The rent and loan payments have to be made whether we're open or not, so the sooner we start bringing in some revenue, the better I'll sleep!

No comments: